Saturday, 14 May 2011

Global expLosure!

I don't know why so many things had to be on today but they were and it was a really exhausting day!

It was College Day awards ceremony today, as well as SMU Law tea session AND Pa's MBA College almuni get together so it was a packed day.

Morning was wet and boring. Was nice to have Amma around to snuggle. She was really thrilled about going to school and watching me get a prize. Her mother with five kids just didn't have the time to go and watch Amma get any of her many million prizes so she vowed that she would be there for every prize presentation of her kids but HA HA her kids too stupid to get any prizes. Okay well S got quite a few but to date this is my first academic achievement :) So she was overly excited about that.

I wanted to go to the SMU Law tea session and hang with L for a bit but I had to be in school early to get briefed about how to walk and collect the certificate etc so I couldn't go. The parents said that it was pretty awesome though and they are more and more convinced that SMU's only drawback is the lack of establishment that NUS has. My father, especially, is convicted and apparently that seems to be a common thread between all fathers because L's father too was rather vocal in his support for SMU. That's nice because at the end of the day they're the people looking to employ us and hey if they're convinced, that's good news.


College Day was okay. We had this super long briefing where I tried to read my Newsweek in peace but was interrupted by the most confused Chinese teacher EVER. She was in charge of the proceedings and was so confused, it was such a painful briefing. She had a major panic attack when it was revealed that C was going late because she had read the timings wrongly and then it became even more painful because Yj took on the responsibility of informing her (how sweet) and another half hour was wasted explaining what was actually a terribly simple activity of C moving behind another person in the queue.

Bloody waste of time. Thought I could sit with R but I didn't get a chance to because of the pre-determined order. Was next to C who was supposed to be next to J but J wasn't there because she hurt her ankle (ouch, I remember when my leg was in a cast) and couldn't come.

They invited Gan Kim Yong for the ceremony. I didn't even get to shake his hand :( Not a very impressive man. Boring actually. One of those coasters (HA HA) in the government. C and I were looking at the Student of the Year board and Chen Show Mao is there! Man would have been awesome if he could be invited.


X got a medal for her CCA contribution. Which I don't agree with either but FINE. Everybody got a Kinokuniya 30$ voucher which was nice. Chris got $80 because she got History + overall Arts. Good job to her :)

Tea was rather terrible so left for Appa's event immediately after some hurried hugs and byes. It was held at the Tanglin Club which was a rather spiffy place heh. It was trying very hard to be all ye olde high class Englishy but it was just an old exclusive club. One of the club rules was: no mobile phones inside the ballroom WEIRD OR WHAT! You can get fined if you use your mobile phone and/or thrown out of the club.

The night was pretty fun. The food was so-so. Not as good as last year but not too bad. We had this nice Indian lady come teach everyone Bollywood dance. She did a pretty good job of getting people to leave the food and come together to do some dancing! S and I got to head two teams of oldies (hee hee) and taught them how to dance and then there was this 'dance-off'. SOME PEOPLE REALLY CAN'T DANCE HA HA HA SO CUTE THEY WERE! Everyone had fun so that was good :)

There were no other people our age so S and I just talked a lot and a lot and a lot and ate even more than that. The desserts were awesome (chocolate cake to die for) and I spent a lot of time hanging around there heh.

A little odd to see the new President and so on. Now that Appa's term as President is over, there is a definite difference in the attitude and atmosphere of the party. It is not as well organised and people just seem to be doing their own thing. I don't understand why we Asians (I am saying this on purpose) just can't seem to network like the Americans or British do. You look at Harvard Alumni Association - it's just a huge networking fest. But here they seem more interested in the drinks than in meeting people and making contacts. I'd be jumping at making as many contacts as possible but these people weren't at all. Last year it was sooo much better and I truly attribute it to leadership and the attitude of the organising committee. Not because my father chaired it, but because if the leader believes in the importance of networking, the events and venue and programme will be planned accordingly. A bit of a let-down in that aspect.

Am verrrrrryyyyyy tired now, it's been a long day.

No comments: